Monday, April 28, 2008

Brody and (gasp) Sugar!

So I am sure there are parents out there who never give their children sugar and some who give their kids lots of sugar. There are no judgements here. A parent can do what they want with their child's diet. True nutritionist and doctors would advise to give very little sugar to children. I had a goal to make sure Brody had very little if none at all before he was two years old. I have been pretty good with Brody and that goal. He will occasionally have some bits of ice cream or cookies but he never has much of it and I am proud to say that at those times he doesn't freak out if he doesn't get more. He will have a couple bits and then walk away to go do something else. Even his juice is watered down A LOT. But the following pictures captures Brody partaking in having some sugary snacks (probably the most in one sitting). This will not be a new habit for Brody.

That is not dirt on his face but the remains of an Oreo cookie (he only had one)!


The entire time he ate it he was so serious and almost had a curious facial expression (I can't believe I didn't get pictures or video while he was eating it). It was as if he wanted to say, "what is this that I am eating...it tastes SO good. Its incredible". Yes Brody that is sugar. Fatty foods are what tastes good and the stuff that doesn't taste as good are healthy for you.........welcome to the real world!!


Okay so this is Brody's first popsicle. Okay its the bottom half that has the stick. He held onto it for a while before he started to put it in his mouth (it was difficult for him to grasp the licking). He didn't even finish it and I found it melting outside on the patio. But still it was fun to see Brody eating his first popsicle. Perhap we will have more this summer and buy the sugar-free kind so that I don't feel so guilty!

2 comments:

Smith Crew said...

I swear motherhood and guilt go hand in hand. It's a crap shoot. But the most wonderful crap shoot in the world :)

Tatum said...

I am the exact same way about giving treats to my girls. They rarely get them because it is important to start them off with healthier choices. But, sometimes it is as much of a treat to me to watch them enjoy something totally sweet :)