Sunday, January 20, 2008

Quote of the day

My mom has this quote hanging on a wall in her house. I read it almost every time I go over there and every time I am blown away by the words.

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates a climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make a life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of fortune or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal in all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated, and a persona humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German author, painter, scientist, philosopher, and statesman


Since I have read this quote I have read other amazing quotes by Goethe. They call him the German Shakespeare!

No comments: