Saturday, January 12, 2008

Not great news but honest news

My friend Amber posted on her blog the other day about how its seems like when you look at other people's blogs they always make sure only nice and perfect things are written. That fact is probably true and its a sad one. If the point of a blog is really to share everyday occurrences and whats happening in life it can't always be wonderful and happy because life isn't like that all the time. I am not wanting to go off on depressing or unhappy subjects and I feel like I am because my previous post was about my family's dog dying. But I want my blog to be honest and be a true reflection of my family and our lives and what is going on even if it isn't always pleasant and wonderful.

Now some of my family already know what I am about to say so you don't need to read this post but for those of you who don't, feel free to read on. I wanted to give a disclaimer because I just hate being that person who repeats things all the time!


A couple weeks ago I took Brody into his pediatrician's office because he had an ear infection and I mentioned how he hasn't talked yet (not one word). I had been thinking about it just the past month or 2 because he has other cousins that are younger than him that can already say things like, "daddy, hi, bye" etc. I mentioned it just casually, I was actually thinking she would say that 18 months isn't too old for him to not be talking. But she actually said she would have someone from Arizona Early Intervention call me to set up an appointment for an evaluation. Well the evaluation was on Wednesday January 2nd. We were hoping that it was just a precaution and that they would tell us he would start talking any day now. The way the two ladies evaluated Brody were through observation, interaction with him and asking Jake and I questions. Both of them wrote things down and tallied points in a standardized test. Brody tested that he had a 50% delay in two areas, communication and social skills. He also tested 25% delay in in two other areas but a 25% delay isn't enough to merit any therapy. But since he tested a 50% delay in two areas Brody qualifies to get speech therapy (we aren't quite sure what help or therapy is given for the social delay). There is still some paper work that needs to be pushed through but they will be contacting us soon to help us get Brody started with the speech therapist.


The outcome of the evaluation of course has gotten Jake and I down a bit. It is never easy knowing that your child needs help to develop and he doesn't develop in all areas naturally. But Jake and I have prayed and fasted about the situation. We are trying to be grateful that we are finding this out now and taking the right steps to help him so that he doesn't fall behind further in those areas of development. We are very lucky that the State of Arizona have great programs like Early Intervention. The therapy Brody will get is 100% paid for by the state. Also my sisters Jada and Kinsey are very familiar with working with this system and with children experiencing problems like this because of their jobs. So I have received a lot of comfort and support from my family so far. Jake and I very much know things could be much worse and we are trying to stay optimistic.

Like I said at the beginning of this post I know this isn't an extremely positive or funny post but this is a big deal in our family right now and I wanted to share it with the people who look at this blog - family and friends we love.

No comments: