Friday, May 9, 2008

Jake graduated!

So yesterday was the big day! Jake's Mom, his sister Becky and I all meet up with my parents at Wells Fargo Arena for Jake's graduation from Arizona State University's WP Carey School of Business. It was the Convocation we attended (the Commencement is the whole school and the Convocation is the graduation ceremony for the individual schools within the University - its new information for me so I thought I'd share with those who didn't know). Other than it being longer than I thought it would be it was a very nice graduation and I am so happy that Jake chose to do it because, I think, it makes him feel more like a graduate. He hasn't had the most normal college experience compared to some of his classmates (you know with a wife and a child as well as always working throughout college).
There were some speakers that were nice but I was most impressed by the CEO of Petsmart. Along with him and others there was lots of talk about the difference you can make in the world. Also my favorite statement that was made by him along with the other speakers was how you should really do what you love and how that should be the main drive in your education and career.

Jake has worked so hard at school and has learned so much. I really think his mission and his college education has awakened two of the most important things and is a key to success (in my opinion) a thirst for knowledge and a firm work ethic. I am so impressed that Jake was capable throughout his college experience to balance family, work and school. He didn't always get the grades he wanted and he didn't have the extra time to get involved in extracurricular activities. I was impressed that he could get through it though. He was dedicated and I know he got this degree for himself and for us!
I would thank Jake but he never reads this blog - just wanted to brag about my man to friends and family. Also a big thanks to all the family and friends who support Jake during his college years. The help came in different forms sometimes but for everything Jake (and I) really appreciate it and he could have never have done it without you all.
Here are some pictures of the neat event!!


Before graduation (this is the closet to a Miller Family picture because Brody threw a huge toddler tantrum and refused to take a picture - not that he knew it was a picture we were trying to take but he did not want to be interrupted from what he was doing)

Showing some love to my graduate!

Here is the graduate all dressed for the event!!

Here we are in front of Wells Fargo Arena - I thought it was a good picture!!

Here is the arena before the graduates came in. I have video of parts of the ceremony but it wouldn't be as cool to anyone else so I am only posting pictures!

Here was the stage where the faculty, heads of departments, etc. were seated

Here is a poor quality picture but this is the banner or flag of the program within WP Carey School of Business. It was carried at the front of the procession of graduates from that program.

After graduation!! (The sun was bright but it was a picturesque background)

Since the graduation ceremony was during the middle of the day on a weekday not everyone in my family or Jake's could attend (which is totally okay). But Donna and Becky were able to come which was cool. My Mom and Dad and Jake's brother Josh were also there but the way it worked out after the ceremony they weren't able to get pictures of them. But for those who did come we really appreciated it!


Arizona State University


WP Carey School of Business


Bachelor of Science in Business Management

2 comments:

Sarah Beau Bera said...

I am proud of you little bro. Sorry I couldn't be there - but I will see you tomorrow.

Lindsey said...

Congratulations Jake!