Friday, May 6, 2011

Motherhood brings me closer to God

Ryan just born
Brody just born



It will be Mother's Day in a couple days. I wanted to record somehow my feelings about my role as a parent - which for me particularly is motherhood.



Since becoming a mother almost 5 years ago I have had, like millions of other parents, ups and downs of parenthood. The good, the bad, things that bring smiles, giggling and joy but also the times of sadness and heartache. As a parent I don't have entire control over my children. Sure, I wish they would listen to me all the time and they would understand why I want them to listen to me.



But even as my almost 5 year old and my 2 year old would prove - that is the reality of the life as a parent - I am sure that is true no matter which age your child is.




When I first held Brody right after he came into this world I felt this surge of emotional and spiritual feelings I could not quite process at the time. But the feelings were overwhelming. Many say they knew they were experiencing a new kind of love when they first held and looked at their child. I felt that for sure but the feelings I had then has now just become stronger and stronger over the years, especially when I had another child two years ago.



What I felt when I first held my little Brody was - I now have a small idea of how our Heavenly Father feels about me and the rest of his children on this earth. Also I knew why I was suppose to have children and be a parent and mother.



I believe we are all children of Heavenly Father. In a very small way each family unit here on earth is a glimpse of who the Lord is and how our Heavenly family exists. We are all brothers and sisters and we are children of Heavenly Father. He wants all of us to love each and care for one another. I know I feel that way about my two little boys. He knows the experiences we have on earth. He is always present in our lives. I am sure he gets frustrated and sad for us as we make mistakes, experience pain, illnesses, cause pain to others, feel heartache and not reach our true potential in life.



As soon as I had Brody I understood why for me I was a mother. It was not just because I got pregnant or because I had the ability to do so. It was not just because it was the next thing to do in life. It was to grow closer to my Heavenly Father. To understand as much as I could that the way I look and see my children is (in similar ways) how our Heavenly Father see all of us.



I do all I can for my children. At this point in their lives many of their needs are significantly earthly, providing food, shelter, clothes and other basic needs. But in my lifetime and that of my children, the experience is meant to mirror that of our Heavenly Father. His love is never-ending. He wants us to find happiness. He most certainly hates to see us experience pain and sadness. I remember the first time Brody cried in pain as a newborn. I literally felt my heart hurt and my stung from holding back the tears. I wanted to stop what was happening and comfort my baby. I know, though different, that is what God wants to do for us. Just like God, we as parents have to let our children experience life and learn from mistakes. But man, how tough is that for us and I am sure our Heavenly Father.




I love my Heavenly Father and I know that what He wants for me is what I want for my own children. Therefore, on this mother's day I am grateful that being a parent has helped me love and see my Heavenly Father in a new perspective. Since having my babies I have tried to, if nothing else, make sure they always feel loved. I say it to them all the time, I make sure they feel it with lots of hugging and kissing and that our home is always filled with lots of love.




Happy Mother's Day to all women. I wish happiness to all parents, every shape and form. May love fill each one of us and overflow to those who surround us.

No comments: