Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thankful I live in Arizona

I am rarely thankful to live in Arizona. I mean its a desert. Most of the time I feel that the big metropolitan city of Phoenix should really be existing where Flagstaff is - you know up north where the air is cooler and there are real trees. I am not sure it was a good idea to settle in a desert where everything is brown and ugly, bare bushes are referred to as trees. Other than the weather that I complain about, lately with state and city governments in this Arizona in a budget crisis there are lots of problems with layoffs, hiring freezes, programs being cut and the quality of education being effected. I have never lived anywhere else so I know my complaints could be seen as naive and only based on my experience living here. Lately, as I have been hearing about the horrible winter weather in other parts of the country, I realize that I am blessed to live here. I don't have to shovel snow, scrap ice off my car or get Brody bundled up before he goes outside. He can run barefoot in the backyard in February and the sun shines on him and he happily runs around!



When it comes to the complaints about the poor economy of our state and the cities in it I was able to adapt a different perspective based on a couple meetings Jake and I had with some people yesterday.



Brody has a communication and social delay. He has been receiving therapy 100% free of charge through DDD (Division of Developmental Disabilities). Our Support Coordinator, one of Brody's therapists as well as Jake and I discussed Brody's goals we set for him in the past and if he has met any of them in the past 6 months. Then we all discussed new goals and gave an update of his progress. It has been a little over a year since we were told about Brody's delays from Early Intervention. Throughout that year Jake and I have experienced interaction with many different agencies throughout the state - DDD which is part of DES, AHCCCS, Early Intervention and more recently Mesa Public Schools (appointments set up with MPS to see if he qualifies for their Special Ed Preschool). These agencies and institutions have been imperative in helping with Brody's delays this past year. I am one of many who complain about government agencies and the red tape and hassle involved in dealing with them. But it has been mine and Jake's experience that the employees of these agencies have been friendly, professional and extremely helpful. With all the cut backs to programs in this state because of the lack of money it is wonderful to know that such a vital programs like the ones helping my son right now will not be affected and not only that but they seem to function well from our impression.



We have been assigned a Support Coordinator who provides an array of help in many ways and as a parent, she has been a great resource in support to me. It has been difficult for our family that Brody has needed so much assistance and extra patience because he doesn't development in all areas at a normal rate. Though I do keep in mind that Brody has no major diagnosis or major disability. Brody is 2 1/2 and communicates the way a 12-18 month old would. I have never heard my child say to me "mommy" or "mom" and not even close to an "I love you". Worse than that it makes the basic care I provide for him difficult when I don't know what he wants. So I feel very blessed to have Brody in therapy with great professionals who have provided wonderful help to Brody. DDD has been an amazing department and, as I was told yesterday by our Support Coordinator, not every state have these resources. In California there are waiting lists for most therapy services. Though a lot of services to children and adults are federally mandated some states do not have the resources and professionals to follow through like our state currently does.






So my heart is filled with gratitude towards the people who have helped us and that we live in state where these things are possible!!



No comments: