Monday, October 19, 2009

Winter comes early in our house

I know I am strange in many ways. I accepted that about myself years ago. So it will come to no surprise to many that I love winter, I love the cold, wearing jackets and sweaters is wonderful to me. Maybe I am wrong that liking the cold is strange but more so expected from a native of Arizona and its extreme heat. Perhaps if I had lived through a real winter with actual snow I would not feel the same way. I love when it gets cold enough that to have soup with bread to dip it in and hot chocolate with some toast just feels great (just always have to add bread onto things I guess)!

Around this time every year for the past few years the house gets a head of the weather outside. Some may know and some may not what a "swamp cooler" or "evap cooler" is - it is cheaper than using air conditioning and it makes the house MUCH cooler than air conditioning. We have been sleeping in 50 and 60 degrees in our house. I put my boys to bed in very warm pajamas and socks. I have been wearing long sleeves and long pants with socks as well.

While this weekend it was past 100 degrees in October I was sweating outside and I thanked the Lord for giving mankind the intelligence to create things like evap coolers and I thank my husband for keeping up with the sometimes annoying maintenance it brings.

I couldn't get the order right with the pictures but other than kids bundled up in our cold house we also got pictures of Brody helping Jake plant the winter lawn two weeks ago. It was really cute to see him try to use his little shovel and mimic what Jake was doing. He was scooping the shovel in and out so fast the stuff feel off his shovel before he could put it on the grass. Brody was very cute and happy about helping though. Jake has many hopes in a couple years to have a helper with the yard work!






No comments: